"What I know is, is that if you do work that you love, and the work fulfills you, the rest will come." Oprah
Maybe it is lame to quote Oprah, but I'm desperatly hopeful
that she's right. This blog is really to try to deter the premature insanity that was beginning to emerge while I am learning web design, and following my passions. If you have a strong stomach, and good sense of humor, or are one of my friends or family (not optional for that group) please enjoy the ride.
The story starts with post #1, and continues to present day. I will keep you posted (pun intended), with the lasted chapter daily. Also, I will share my reviews of the books I escape with along the way.
Please, read, enjoy, comment, link, or message me. I'd love the feedback, it makes it seem less like I am just talking to myself.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

In Way Over My Head! Part #3

Most of my friends, and family are polite enough to not say "Renee, just get on with the story will ya", but sometimes I can see it all over their faces. So, for the benefit of moving the story along, and to minimize the reliving of the discomfort in the first weeks of my budding new project, this post summarizes many weeks of trial and error, and general mind numbing frustration on my part.

The reality was that I was not the most savvy of computer users. I knew how to Google, and have had a yahoo account for ages, and online banking sometimes, a tiny bit of work stuff, but well, shamefully that was about the extent. The term painful learning curve is a gross understatement.

First problem, the name I wanted, I just finished reading etc was taken, parked to be specific. (Yes, I had to look up what parked meant, even.) So, I moved on to the alternative name that had already been suggested, I just finished... and that was officially registered as http://www.ijustfinished.com/, right after I watched and read ten or so tutorials about picking and registering a domain, and finding a web host.

Thankfully, unlike any other industry in the world, the Internet if filled with altruistic goodness, offered up by really smart people. Lucky for the rest of us! I hope those people are getting extra karma bonus points for their effort to make the world a better, or at least more informed place.

Eventually, after several trials and errors, and the purchase and reading of 5 computer web design manuals (those books aren't really meant to be read cover to cover, turns out), and thousands of dollars worth of gracious free troubleshooting by my in person, and Internet friends, I have a plan. I know, I would have liked to say, "I have a beautiful site, and please visit". But, alas, no not yet. It is still in my head it remains locked, until it is finally set free. I have a template. I have a site map, tons and tons of ideas. So many in fact that when I was again plaguing one of my generous friends for free assistance on my quest, she said, start a blog. Journal your experience. It will help keep you focused, and gather a readership. Get into the blogoshpere,and participate in the conversation that you want.

So, that brings us to now. I have the skeleton of a site, that is a work in progress. Actually, that has more progress than it actually online, because, yet again I am having publishing errors. My curse. Or at least my current curse. This blog is beginning it's infancy, and i have realized that I am going to have to pay for more help. You can only mooch off friends so long. So I am hopeful that with this focus, and some serious handholding through the rough spots, soon we will all be able to enjoy the conversation of books.

Feel free to visit the site, and give feedback, suggestions, helpful advise, or just watch the progress, with eager anticipation. Please visit here often, and stay posted, and enjoy the book reviews. I will be adding my blog roll in the next days, so feel free to send me your link, and let start that conversation!

0 comments: