"What I know is, is that if you do work that you love, and the work fulfills you, the rest will come." Oprah
Maybe it is lame to quote Oprah, but I'm desperatly hopeful
that she's right. This blog is really to try to deter the premature insanity that was beginning to emerge while I am learning web design, and following my passions. If you have a strong stomach, and good sense of humor, or are one of my friends or family (not optional for that group) please enjoy the ride.
The story starts with post #1, and continues to present day. I will keep you posted (pun intended), with the lasted chapter daily. Also, I will share my reviews of the books I escape with along the way.
Please, read, enjoy, comment, link, or message me. I'd love the feedback, it makes it seem less like I am just talking to myself.

Friday, December 14, 2007

In Way Over My Head! Part #2

So, the idea. I have this habit of really getting into the books I read. Well, the good ones, anyway. So when I finish one I enjoy, I want more. More of the character, more info, the next book, anything else the author has written, and well, you get the idea. During the time my idea light bulb was slowing gaining wattage, I had recently visited two of my favorite author's sites for more information on their respective series' that I had just finished reading. I noticed that they had different formats. One had her own chat, one referred to a Yahoo group. One had a blog, one had extras posted. Anyway, the inspiration that dawned on me was this:

What if there was a clearinghouse, a website that had many authors, and you could click on their page, and see their titles, and all the relevant info, the upcoming stuff, the links, and then, (this is the kicker) a discussion board for each of their books. The idea being that when you read a well written book, you are compelled to discuss it. Most of the people around you haven't read the same book, so they aren't much fun. Why not get together and discuss the books you read with other people who also read the same book. Hence the birth of the idea for www.ijustfinished.com, and the beginning of my painfully passionate journey into my new career.

With me so far? Well, it seemed very logical at the time. Of course, the time was around 4am, I was at work, and had no one to talk to, to you know look at me like a was crazy. So, I indulged myself in the visualizations of my grand web site, and new budding web site owner, and soon to be designer career. I conceptualized, and managed a vivid mental picture. A side effect from all that reading is a good imagination. Well, that mental image would come back to haunt me several times over, but those are later stories.

So, the sun comes up, and I start to tell people about the idea. At the time it was imagined I called the site I just finished reading dot com, a play on the conversation opener. Most of the people who love me patiently listened, and had the same question: "sounds like a great idea, but how is that a career, and how do you make money", and that was quickly followed up with, "you don't even check you email everyday, how are you going to create a web site?" I am the idea girl, do I have to figure out everything?

It became apparent quickly that, yep, I do. It was my baby, my idea, my site, therefore my problem. Much like a newborn baby, relating back to the labor analogy (can you tell I just had a baby?), you are head over heels in love with the baby, but have no idea what a daunting task you are heading into. And, like the first weeks, and months of an infant's care, it was much harder than I had imagined.

Luckily, (for me and my newish baby)I am stubborn, and resourceful, and remember fearless, slightly ignorant, and optimistic, so the story continues...



(This is the beginning of the unfolding of a newborn project, it's ups and downs, and bumps, and bruises along the way. Please, stay tuned for the next chapter.)

0 comments: