"What I know is, is that if you do work that you love, and the work fulfills you, the rest will come." Oprah
Maybe it is lame to quote Oprah, but I'm desperatly hopeful
that she's right. This blog is really to try to deter the premature insanity that was beginning to emerge while I am learning web design, and following my passions. If you have a strong stomach, and good sense of humor, or are one of my friends or family (not optional for that group) please enjoy the ride.
The story starts with post #1, and continues to present day. I will keep you posted (pun intended), with the lasted chapter daily. Also, I will share my reviews of the books I escape with along the way.
Please, read, enjoy, comment, link, or message me. I'd love the feedback, it makes it seem less like I am just talking to myself.

Sunday, December 30, 2007

"Holy Smokes" by Katie MacAlister

QUALIFIER!! I am a proud Katie MacAlister fan. I am here to represent! Her "A Girl's Guide to Vampires" was my gateway book that got me addicted to paranormals, and urban fantasy. I have faithfully followed her Aisling Grey series, and buy then hot off the shelves. That said, this was not my favorite Aisling book. I would only recommend this book if you follow the series, it is not a stand alone.
Aisling is trying to get married. If everyone would stop intruding, and take care of their own problems, that would be simple. One crisis after another interrupt the weddings, yes that is weddings.
First, the positives. What is so fun about Ms. MacAlister's writing, is that all her paranormals while following different characters, and plots all take place in the same vivid, rich, creative, unique world. All the books exist in the same world, and follow the same rules, and dynamics. Katie MacAlister is also witty, sarcastic, and laugh out loud funny. So, you can count on that in any Katie Mac book you read. "Holy Smokes" maintains that tone. She also writes descriptive sex scenes, so if that is your thing, well consider this book like an all you can eat buffet at the MGM Grand, mimosas and all. I am usually left wishing that someone wanted me that passionately, and that often, and that I wanted them that badly, too. They don't call it fantasy for nothing.
Now, the bad. Ms. MacAlister is a very prolific writer, and publishes many books a year. And, this one I felt like should have been three books. Too many plot lines, and quick resolutions. I wanted follow up on all the issues, and although I realize that the tone of Aisling's life is chaotic, I felt like I was being rushed.
Overall, if you follow the series, this book is integral, and explains as much as it leaves open. I won't be abandoning this series, but I do feel like this episode in Aisling's life was unfulfilling.
I with heavy heart, give it 2.5 committed to the series stars.

Up Next: "If You Could See Me Now" by Cecelia Ahern


0 comments: