"What I know is, is that if you do work that you love, and the work fulfills you, the rest will come." Oprah
Maybe it is lame to quote Oprah, but I'm desperatly hopeful
that she's right. This blog is really to try to deter the premature insanity that was beginning to emerge while I am learning web design, and following my passions. If you have a strong stomach, and good sense of humor, or are one of my friends or family (not optional for that group) please enjoy the ride.
The story starts with post #1, and continues to present day. I will keep you posted (pun intended), with the lasted chapter daily. Also, I will share my reviews of the books I escape with along the way.
Please, read, enjoy, comment, link, or message me. I'd love the feedback, it makes it seem less like I am just talking to myself.

Thursday, December 13, 2007

In Way Over My Head! Part #1

In self help books the advise to make changes in your life usually is something along the lines of "get out of your comfort zone", so right now, my life must be changing drastically. That, actually is the goal, but much like the goal of having a baby, the imagined labor and the actual labor experience are very different. Having done the later twice myself, I can attest that even the second time around the imagined is far more glamorus, and fun than the real experience. So, in the same fearless, slightly ignorant, and optimistic fashion as I approached both of my children's births, I decided that it was time for a career change. Actually, I have considered the idea for many years, but always was stumped with the, "yes well I HATE being a nurse, but what else can I do?" dilemma. The problem is that as a pediatric nurse, I am employable. Most people say, well that is great, high demand, valid career, make a difference, yada yada yada. What they don't know is that most of those "great" jobs are actually awful jobs, doing awful things to, in my case children, and bearing an emotional cost that is never, ever compensated adequately. Whew, okay just a sec while I climb off my burned out nurse soapbox now.

So, much like a quest for the Holy Grail, I set out to figure out what I should do with my life instead. As these things happen, random incidents added up to an epiphany. First, there was the suggestion of "hey, you should learn web design, since you are so creative" comment from my significant other, that I quickly dismissed. Then, the "hey, you could be my virtual assistant and build a career of that, have the ease of working from home" suggestion that my successful marketing coach, author, yoga instructor, all around guru friend Jen offered up. I, being that optimistic, and slightly desperate person seeking career change that I am said, "sounds perfect, give me the projects".

Two months later, I was still reluctantly searching her list of websites that she needed follow up info from, and suffering. It was work, and actually it was secretarial work. Problem was, I became a nurse in the first place, because I wasn't much of a secretary. Then, as I was wallowing in my personal rut, I was skimming a blog for info for Jen, and read a: Top Ten Things You Need to Do to Change Careers. Man oh man, I wish I would have had the foresight to save that site, because I'd really love to give that author credit! The list's point was do something that you know, but more importantly what you love. I know you are thinking, "that is not a new concept, Renee". Sometimes I am a little slow to catch up to the crowd, and need the not so subtle smack to the head to get my brain working. That list got my mind mulling over ideas. Well, I love my family, but overdone, and I'm no expert, that's for sure. I love yoga, but again far from an expert, hell, I'm having trouble getting to class to lose the baby weight. Most of the rest of the things I came up with I could easily dismiss, so I decided my brain hurt from all the secretarial work, that I just wanted to read my new book. Then, literally, inspiration, just like a cartoon, light bulbs, fireworks, neon sign, I mean duh! BOOKS!

That is my first passion. My childhood timeline I marked by the books I was reading at the time. No actually, not just my timeline, my most vivid childhood memories are of the books I read, and loved. Who wrote them, where I was when I read them. Reading was my escape then, and continues to be now. Of course, I can't so much mark my days by what I read anymore, since I read so often. It is easier when you don't have homework, and bedtimes to distract you. So then the idea began to take shape.

(This is the beginning of the unfolding of a newborn project, it's ups and downs, and bumps, and bruises along the way. Please, stay tuned for the next chapter.)

0 comments: