"What I know is, is that if you do work that you love, and the work fulfills you, the rest will come." Oprah
Maybe it is lame to quote Oprah, but I'm desperatly hopeful
that she's right. This blog is really to try to deter the premature insanity that was beginning to emerge while I am learning web design, and following my passions. If you have a strong stomach, and good sense of humor, or are one of my friends or family (not optional for that group) please enjoy the ride.
The story starts with post #1, and continues to present day. I will keep you posted (pun intended), with the lasted chapter daily. Also, I will share my reviews of the books I escape with along the way.
Please, read, enjoy, comment, link, or message me. I'd love the feedback, it makes it seem less like I am just talking to myself.

Monday, January 7, 2008

Classes Start Today!

"I am not young enough to know everything" Oscar Wilde
There are many clever quotes regarding wisdom being the understanding of what you do not know, but alas, Mr. Wilde summed it up nicely, I think. The older I get, the less I know, no doubt about that!
I have read several books, and even more web site tutorials about all things web design and development. My conclusion is that it is time for me to start taking classes. The more I have learned, the less I understand. I am currently stuck in a holding pattern with the site. So, you can imagine that the classes are in the nick of time! I am stubborn, and desperate to see this through, so it's back to school for me!
Actually, I have enlisted the help of a tutor, Robert. (More info on him to follow, if I get his permission) We have not met in person yet but, I suspect that Robert is one of those freakishly smart people that masters things like the Rubik's cube while whistling a song, chewing gum, and standing on one foot. My only hope is that he is also a great teacher, since I was around for the Rubik's cube the first time, and now the reissuing of it, I still cannot solve it! Yep, I was one of the kids who just moved the stickers, I admit freely it now!
So, I am told that on this first lesson we will be going over HTML code in notepad, to get the basics. "Is that even English?" I say. Well yes code happens to be written in English, but it is also it's own language. Well Shit! Three years of Spanish, and I am still "muy poquito espanol"!
Okay, maybe web design basics are not glamorous, but that doesn't scare me! I have spent the last 14 years of my professional life doing most things that can only be done while wearing latex gloves, so bring on the code!
My class is at 3pm today, so watch for the riveting play by play update. More importantly, watch for the web site to finally start to unlock itself, and become something exciting, and useful. If you have an extra prayer or candle to light today, keep me in mind, I can use all the help I can get!
Hasta luego!

On a side note, I have gotten a couple requests for guest reviewers, so I have figured out how to make that happen. Please watch for guest reviews, and if you are interested in being one yourself, just email me or post a comment, and I'll set you up!!
Thanks again for reading!

0 comments: