"What I know is, is that if you do work that you love, and the work fulfills you, the rest will come." Oprah
Maybe it is lame to quote Oprah, but I'm desperatly hopeful
that she's right. This blog is really to try to deter the premature insanity that was beginning to emerge while I am learning web design, and following my passions. If you have a strong stomach, and good sense of humor, or are one of my friends or family (not optional for that group) please enjoy the ride.
The story starts with post #1, and continues to present day. I will keep you posted (pun intended), with the lasted chapter daily. Also, I will share my reviews of the books I escape with along the way.
Please, read, enjoy, comment, link, or message me. I'd love the feedback, it makes it seem less like I am just talking to myself.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Fred the Mermaid

MaryJanice Davidson is one of may favorite authors. She has a humor that is young, and sarcastic. Since I am young and sarcastic, well perfect. All of the MaryJanice Davidson books I have read have been the vampire paranormals. This new series is about a Mermaid named Fred. Fredrika, actually, and she is only half mermaid, but still, great byline! Since I spent much of my childhood convinced that I was actually a mermaid stuck with legs, and could not for the life of me imagine why Disney's Ariel wanted legs when she had the best gig ever with the tail, and princess thing, it didn't take one single arm twisting for me to pickup this book.

Fred is a hybrid mermaid, marine biologist, daughter of a hippie named Moon, and she had blue green hair. Did I mention that she was allergic to seafood. That might account for her general foul temperament. Fred is grouchier, more sarcastic, and self absorbed than most any I have read. She is also one of the most original.

The book is a quick read, with fun anecdotes, and laugh out loud one liners. In short, a great escape from my life for a few hours. Even better if enjoyed while in the bathtub. That is just a personal preference, though.

For the pure and simple entertainment value (yes, I read for that reason), Sleeping with the Fishes a 4 of 5 stars, for the simple laugh out loud factor. (Oh, and 'cause I like mermaids)

Currently reading the sequel, so look for the review soon.

0 comments: